Sock Club Hopper

Though I don't like to declare emphatically that I'm a sock/mitten/hat/sweater knitter I'm sure my stash would tell a very different story. I have quite the pile of sock yarns piling up and I'm afraid that it's only going to get worse in the near future. That's right, I'm taking part in a sock club. Actually that's not entirely true. I'm taking part in TWO sock clubs. I know. I can go a little over board sometimes.

The first sock club I'm participating in the Sock Yarn Cinema club from Knit it up. I love the idea of having colourways custom dyed for movies, and the list of movies when I came across this sock club through some Ravelry browsing one day so decided to join up. Now we're two months into it and it's been super fun!

December's movie was Rudy. The yarn came in plastic trophy case and came with some delicious caramel hot chocolate mix. December was a pretty hectic month for me so I didn't get around to taking pictures or even casting on for the socks. Nope, haven't rewatched the movie yet either. I did have the hot chocolate right away and it was super yummy and the packaging has already been repurposed as a spare button container.


Fibre: 70% Merino Wool 30% Silk
Colour: The Fighting Irish
Sock Yarn Cinema Club: Rudy
Skeins: 1
Yards: 440/skn

It wasn't until I got the package for January that my sock needles were liberated and I cast on for a new pair of socks. To be honest I was kind of stumped of what kind of pattern to use with this yarn. In the end I decided a simple pair of ribbed socks were in order. Toe-up (this time short row) and magic loop are my preferred sock tendencies these days. I know I know all wrangling an octopus aside, I find that the brainless aspect of working from both ends of the skein lends itself nicely to the portability of a pair of socks in progress.

If you know me at then all you know that I'm entirely opposed to anything that changes my habits established ESPECIALLY if I think it's in any way trendy or fashionable. But I will often completely turn that initial emphatic negative reaction entirely around after I've tried whatever and found it to be not so bad. It's just as stupid to never use a method JUST because it's trendy as it is to proclaim it for the same reasons. I don't like to get caught up in hype.

In this case, I still don't think Magic Loop is the best thing since sliced bread, but I do like that working two socks or sleeves at the same time means I don't have to pay as close attention that they'll end up to be the same length or gauge. And portability lends itself to socks getting finished in my life. Being able to drag them with me to work, on a plane, while in a waiting room or getting a pedicure is the key to me getting another pair of socks to wear especially if they're stockinette or find themselves to be tending towards knee high length.


But these socks are coming along quite quickly. The Knit it Up! Silky is super nice to work with. And I am kind of super excited to move onto the January sock yarn once these ones are finished up...

Comments

Popular Posts