The Yellow Bag

Continuing my summer fun sewing projects I made another purse for my mom from another Amy Butler purse pattern. This time the Birdie Sling. After all the fun of making the Blue Reversible bag, we went and got fabric for another 2 purses (another for mom, and one for me).

Again fun and simple to put together. The only tricky part is easing the bands onto the exterior and lining panels, but with enough pins turns out fine. The fun new thing with this pattern was using fusible fleece on the lining and making corner gussets on the exterior and lining. The combination of fusible fleece and all the interfacing again gives the bag sturdiness but really no additional weight. Overall a great bag. I really enjoy the joyfulness of this particular colour combination. I would have to say that I wouldn't have minded if my mom decided she didn't like it after all.

Pattern: Amy Butler Birdie Sling bag
Fabric: exterior - butter and white floral, handles and lining - Amy Butler Midwest Modern in Linen/Martini
Date: August 3rd 2009

When buying the fabric, we bought the metric equivalents of the yardage asked for on the package and ended up with more than was necessary for the bags. Solution: matching zipper pouches.

The stash and dash bags bring zippers into the mix. And as I didn't have the fabrics with me when picking out the zippers, I convinced my mom that contrasting zippers would be the way to go. Lucky for me she was game. And I really think the zippers give the pouches extra oompf. The zippers were a bit of a challenge to put in on the first pouch. Lots of swearing went on as I got used to putting them in, but I managed to get the hang of it.

Pattern: Amy Butler Stash and Dash bags
Fabric: exterior - butter and white floral, exterior contrast and lining - Amy Butler Midwest Modern in Linen/Martini
Date: August 11th 2009


These stash and dash pouches were made from the leftovers, but really didn't take much fabric either. The resulting extra extras will again be going into the Hexagonal quilt project. It's working out great to have this scrap happy project going while sewing these purses and pouches.

Comments

Popular Posts