Happy Birthday Scraps

Yes another birthday related post. Last one for like a whole year. I'm pretty sure about that.

My birthday present from Mr. Peabody was this awesome 5lb. box of scraps bought on eBay. Apparently he's really bad about keeping secrets and told me all about it minutes after he won the auction during a family dinner evening. For the record, I would never have know anything about it had he not flat out told me about it. I just thought his constant checking of his computer was just plain old technoholic behaviour.

What made this box of scraps absolutely the perfect gift is that it's scraps of 1930's reproduction fabrics including a bunch of awesome Aunt Grace fabrics. I have been known to randomly blurt out in a loud tone "Aunt Grace!" during various online fabric perusing Les courtepointistes evenings. "AUNT GRACE!"


When the box finally made it's way to Montreal, I spent a good 2-3 hours taking out each individual scrap and sorting it according to colour. This categorising of fabric appealed to Mr. Peabody's natural tendencies so he quickly took charge of defining the individual colour categories. It was good times.

This is how the box has sat on a bookshelf in my apartment since. Sorted and waiting. Until this past weekend when I finally got around to washing the fabric.

I was advised not to use my washing machine because of the scrappy nature of the scraps and wanting to preserve the fabric as much as possible. Don't want to lose fabric to the usual edge unravelling that happens in the spin cycle. So into the wash tub they went.

I split the box into 2 batches and transferred the wet fabric to drain in my colander before they met with the iron. After spending several hours ironing and trimming off the ravelings, Mr. Peabody came by and was concerned with me leaving the fabric in big wet piles as I made my way through the trimming and ironing.

His first objection was how wet my fabric was while I was ironing it. Pshwa. There was no scalding of fabric! But whateves. Next he told me that my fabric would mould by the time I got to ironing all of it. So he went to work hanging up the scraps on my laundry rack. Quickly the rack filled up and we moved onto filling up the backs of my kitchen chairs with the rest. Just hanging up fabric took us nearly an hour to hang it all up!

Next I'll be re-sorting, re-folding and re-packing my box of scraps. Then it will be time to start imagining future projects. Postage stamp charm quilts. String pieced quilts. Any suggestions?

Comments

Popular Posts