Project Hexagon Re-activation Complete

So this was the last picture I showed about the Hexagonal quilt I started last summer.

Initially started this quilt with some fat quarters and fabric scraps I had kicking around from some old sewing projects. It's a slow project but has been progressing off and on since I started it.

Here's an update. It's grown a bit:

I've dusted off the project and brought it back to life. Mostly as a portable project to have with me at the Salon 2010 and have been working on it in the weeks since the show. In fact I've been working on it during my lunch break at work. EVERYONE who comes into the kitchen while I'm stitching says something about the quilt, the most hilarious being "are you decorating easter eggs?!?" These reactions are almost more fun than working on it again. Almost.

So when I'm working on this quilt, I put together smaller sections like this:

You may notice that there have been some additions to the fabrics used for this quilt. Truth is that I don't have enough of the original fabrics to make a quilt of the size that I want. Originally I planned to make this quilt for my double bed. That's still the plan, but if I get bored with it (doubtful) it could become a lap quilt or something.

When each smaller section is done, I attach it to the larger piece:

The arrangement of the hexagons is a kind of planned randomness. Here's how that works. I have a group of fabrics that I have larger quantities of and others that are truly scrap hexes that I have say 1 to 20 of. In each "repeat", I include one of each of my regular fabrics plus a number of my scrap fabrics. They all get arranged in a pleasing random-esque order and get stitched onto the working piece.

Now I've even started paying attention to the orientation of the hexagons. I like it when the shapes from the print on one hexagon can be arranged to line up and blend into the shape on a neighboring one. I'm sure no one will notice these little things but me. They're my little quilting secrets and I find them infinitely amusing.

Oh and if anyone has any fun scraps of fabric they don't know what to do with, I'd be more than happy to take them off your hands. They might make it into the quilt or even for future scrappy projects.

Comments

Popular Posts